Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Living Legend.






So begins the story. Ben Rector, an up and thriving musician and friend stopped by in Fayetteville to play a cd release show a while back at George's Majestic. I asked him if I could take a few photos during the concert (a few turned into a few hundred) and naturally he was happy to have me. The concert proceeded and ended with me on my knees most of the time squished into a two feet section between the audience guard rail and the stage. I learned a couple of things that night. One, there is a social stigma associated with SLR cameras. If you carry one you must be a "professional" or "with the band". The second lessons coincides with the last picture in this post. Ben asked me to take a picture of the audience from the stage as he and his band came out to do their performance. I have never in my life been so overwhelmed with nervousness, adrenaline, and shaking hands. Second, only to being mugged in Long Beach and the ensuing foot pursuit which ended with the reaching of a hand gun, I have never been so scared. It ceases to amaze me that performers thrive on such environments and make them look so easy. Never do I ever want to be on a stage of this magnitude ever again. Period. Ben, if by chance you read this. You put on one heck of a show and looked a little Fayetteville homesick in the process. We miss you man, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment