Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Wonderland

Over the past few days Fayetteville, Arkansas has been transformed into a winter wonderland. Easily the largest amount of fresh powder I have ever seen at one time in my life. Another photo blog first. I have read that snow is the hardest landscape to take photographs in due to the difficulty in capturing the slight contrast in a sea of white. Deciding to conquer the challenge, Aaron Ricca and I, decided to bundle ourselves from head-to-toe and head to Wilson Park. I was in high hopes of capturing people enjoying the snow and Aaron was determined to find some wonderful still-life photos. On a side note, Aaron and I, have been roommates for three years now and the previous sentence perfectly explains our relationship and the wonders hidden behind the old saying, "polar opposites attract." With my boots dug into the snow, I had selected my location right next to a man-made ski jump and proceeded to attempt to capture a few action shots. During this 15 minutes photo shoot I realized a few things. First of all, people love to be photographed. It creates a very interesting proposition for the recreational photographer. Probably due to the narcissism that is embedded deep within our evil nature, most people enjoy having their photo taken. It creates almost a perfect relationship, photographers (those who shoot people) are in need of a multitude of individuals and there are multitudes of people who are ready to be the one standing in front of the lense. Secondly, if you appear at a location that is at least slightly crowded with a camera bag slung around your shoulder and a SLR camera up to your face, you must look like you work for the paper. I was asked roughly four times by various teenage boys if I would take their photo for the newspaper. The disappointment that slowly showed on their face as I told them I was in fact not affiliated with the newspaper made me want to have lied. Lastly, once again I have stumbled upon something that the Lord is asking me to readily use to advance His kingdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment